How to install solar electric panels on the roof of your house
In today’s era, it is very significant to find out an alternative for the non-renewable energy sources. Solar energy is one of the renewable energy, which seems to be a never-ending source. The sun can provide us with energy, which would be sufficient to illuminate the entire world for many centuries ahead. Let us learn to install solar electric panels on the roof of your house.
Difficulty level: Moderate
Time taken: Approximately 3 hours
Estimated cost: Varies according to the size of the roof
- Solar panel
- Copper pipes
- Black paint
- Wood screws
- First select a location (eg. rooftop) that receives abundant sunlight. Then you should decide upon the exact place where you want to set up your solar panel. Positioning and preference of the solar panel are the single most significant considerations. Once you are done with selection of the place where you want your solar panel to be installed, you can proceed to the next step.
- To make the plexi glass waterproof, seal it with black pond liner. This is recommended because a black pond liner is one of the best solar ray absorber. The coating of black pond liner over the plexi glass makes it safer to work with as well.
- Thin cylinders are the most effective type of panels. They are preferred as these have greatest ratio of surface area to water volume. An alternate option for the thin cylinder is to build a plywood tank.
- You can attach the wires of the different solar appliances with the solar panel to illuminate them in an eco friendly way. The number of electrical appliances that a solar panel can bear is directly proportional to the size of the solar panel. Therefore, if you want to run more number of light and coolers on solar power, you should install a big solar panel. You can also use the solar power to lighten the lampposts in your garden or on a personal pathway of your home compound. By installing a system that runs on solar energy, you can drastically decrease your electricity bills. In case you want to install a system run on solar power that is capable of heating water, then you will have to install a set of plumbing fittings and pipes as well. A set of pipe works can be laid which will connect the solar panel with the bathroom water system and will lead to a systematic solar heating of normal water.
- The interior of the panel should be necessarily painted jet black. Therefore, you must cover the pipes with more than two layers of paint. This will help the panel to attract maximum sunlight in less time because black color absorbs maximum heat more than any other color.
- Next step is to dress up your panel with a division of Plexiglas acrylic plastic. In case of a solar water heater, very cautiously make few holes towards the corner of the plastic and screw them with slim wooden screws to seal the pipes. The holes should not be bigger than the size of the pitch of the screws that are being used. When the plastic is connected, the panel is prepared for installation. The top pipe is for the input and the lower is for the output.
- For self-made solar panels, glass is generally considered a suitable glazing.
Things to watch out for:
- You should make such an arrangement in which the panel is always directed to the south direction.
- Remember not to touch the panel for two hours straight after the dusk. This rule should strictly be followed because the panel is extremely hot during this time.
- It is very easy to start and shut down this solar panel system as it is provided with buttons. The on button on the panel directs the energy flow towards the appliances. The charging button helps the panel top recharge itself everyday. When the sun rises and heats up the system, you can start the charging button. The charge is maximum restored during noon when the sun is at its peak.